Join DISES for an International Perspective!
Have you ever wanted to learn more about special education and related services in other countries? Do you wish to communicate and collaborate with professionals across the globe who are working to better serve students with exceptional education needs? Well, if we don't 'reach out', then we will 'miss out'. While the challenges in our own communities will always demand our time and attention, we can learn and benefit so much by establishing communication and relationships with others around the world. Yes - others around the world are facing many of the same challenges that you are facing. Just think how much more we could help the children of the world if we could work together on their behalf. Professionals from around the world collaborating to advocate for students and improve services worldwide... it is an inspiring thought!
Does this sound far-fetched or difficult to achieve? Not so many years ago, such collaboration would have seemed like a nearly insurmountable challenge. However, we are now living in an era where distance is not such a barrier. We have multiple (and very efficient) means of communicating and sharing information. In short, we have entered a new age where we have many more opportunities and ways to work together.
One easy way that you can get involved is to join the Council for Exceptional Children's Division of International Special Education & Services (DISES). The Mission of DISES is to promote 'knowledge exchange, collaboration, human rights and advocacy to those who provide services to individuals with disabilities' (www.dises-cec.org). Those who join DISES receive the Journal of International Special Needs Education and the DISES Newsletter. Members can participate in International Conferences or Round Table meetings. Perhaps most importantly, DISES is a network of professionals who can work together to advance education and services for students with disabilities around the globe.
Our world has changed, and it has changed for the better. There is no longer a reason for us to confine our efforts to the small place in which we live. We need not attend only to our own towns, our own regions, or our own countries. Every child matters: every child, every place. When we support each other, we are all stronger. Reach out to the world through whatever means you can, but please consider starting with a DISES membership!
There are roughly 600 members of DISES worldwide. Although most of the members reside in North America, members come from all corners of the earth. The goal of the organization is to increase awareness and membership from people around the world who wish to advocate for students with exceptional learning needs. DISES seeks members from all countries!
The DISES Objectives (as indicated on the website www.dises-cec.org) are:
- Improve understanding of the conditions facing individuals with exceptional education needs and the professionals, parents, and others who provide education and services for them throughout the world;
- Serve as a catalyst for the international exchange of information on practice, research, technology, and issues related to education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs;
- Promote international research and cross-cultural studies that advance education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs;
- Sponsor forums for professional development and discussion among those who are involved in providing education and services for individuals with exceptional education needs;
- Engage in international projects and partnerships that join people from various societies and cultures in working toward common goals;
- Establish networks that foster collegiality and international association, recognize achievement and leadership, and foster broad understandings of the international experience in education and services for individuals with exceptional needs;
- Disseminate information in support of the Division's purposes.
Reach out to the world and be a part of creating a better future for all students with exceptional learning needs! Don't delay! We would love for you to be part of our organization!
For more information contact us at http://www.dises-cec.org/contact-us.html, or visit our home page at www.dises-cec.org. Alternatively, start by 'liking' our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/dises.cec/. Whoever you are and wherever you live, we will be honored and excited to have you as part of our organization.
Thank you for your consideration!
There is a world to be known.